Monday, December 17, 2007

What a night.... 2nd ejection ever

Boy what a night. I had the big school girls varsity game and boy was it intense. It was one of those, inner city girls (Team A) vs all suburb girls game (Team B). They play so different that when they clash it can be VERY ugly. The game down to just 6 points, but what happen in the game was crazy.

First off, we had a paid evaluator there today which puts a little more pressure on the game, but on top of that, this evaluator has some serious connections to the college ball here. I went out and did the game and as best I could. I was working with two very different guys, both good officials though. The game started with the foul count being 0-6 where the black team was committing some very hard fouls. The fouls caught up and stayed even throughout the game, but the game just got worse. It was very dirty in the post and at the top of the key and the foul count showed, but it didn't help. We were on top of this game from the start and just kept calling fouls.

Now to the third quarter where halfway through it I had a flagrant foul. B 33 fouled A 12 on a rebound foul and I came out strong with the foul. A second later A12 comes from behind and with two hands pushes B33 to the ground and bang, I have my second ever ejection. This is where things went down hill.

I thought I knew my ejection procedure very well, but it proved that the intensity in the game made me forget a lot. I came up clear with the ejection and we got A 12 out of there. I went and reported the first foul and then the ejection. Went to A's coach and told him what happen and that A12 was now ejected and he said OK. Came to my partner, told him B will shoot two and then B will have the ball. Well that is when both coaches came out with confusion. A's coach tried keeping 12 in the game during the free throws so I had to tell him again that she needed to sit on the bench for the rest of the game. Then A's coach wanted 4 free throws for some reason (thought it was a double T on A...) Then one of my partners didn't know we had two fouls even. Here is what the evaluator said and I agree with him. In these rough situations it is best to first talk with the closest partner and then go from there. In this situation might have been best to send both teams to their bench so we could talk it through and then bring both coaches together to explain what had happen and what we are going to do. Boy DO I NEED TO SLOWWWWW DOWN!

The game got closer with A only losing by a few points. Overall it was just a tough game to work, but I learned a lot from it. Tue brings a boys freshman and big school boys varsity.

NEED TO WORK ON SLOWWWWING DOWN.

Good job on court presence and general mechanics.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! An ejection! Slowing down is a good idea (pot calling the kettle black here, of course...I'm terrible at that), and getting the teams to their areas is another good idea. You'll remember this on the next ejection, which I hope isn't soon.

Way to get your feet wet! I've got a pair of boys' JV games on Friday for the belated start to my year. Over ten months without a single game. Wow--I have some work to do.